The Sheldon's transformation from dilapidated structure to a thriving
13-unit urban community was conducted with a focus on sustainability.
To ensure that the renovation of the building had a low environmental impact,
the original building was largely preserved and construction materials
were salvaged whenever possible.
Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC)
Sustainable features at the Sheldon include:
- High-efficiency building systems, including gas hot water heaters + boiler.
- Because this building has been renovated, the energy used to obtain construction
materials and build the original structure is conserved.
This concept is called embodied energy.
- Paint, sealants, caulks, adhesives, etc were all chosen for their minimal off-gassing of
volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
- Earth-friendly cleaning products used in all common areas.
- Energy-efficient building lighting, including compact-fluorescent light bulbs used throughout common spaces.
- Energy-Star air-conditioning, kitchen and laundry room appliances.
- Double-paned windows provide excellent insulation in both summer and winter.
- Every unit comes with
Niagara flapperless toilets
that conserve water while still offering a powerful flush.
- Water-conserving plumbing fixtures used throughout building.
- Located in a walkable community, with restaurants, shopping and services easily accessible on foot.
- Indoor bike parking available to all tenants, free of charge.
- Walking distance to Metro (U Street/Cardozo Station and Dupont Circle Station).
- Building-wide recycling, including special programs for fluorescent bulbs and batteries.
WANT TO LEARN MORE?
- Eco-friendly business practices by management staff.
- Use of Integrated Pest Management system that minimizes use of pesticides when controlling pests.
- Green cleaning products used to clean all common areas.
- Receptive and flexible management--always looking for ways to improve!
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-291-0577