Elevation 314 is, quite simply, one of DC's greenest buildings. Design and construction decisions were made with the environment in mind, but the project's commitment to sustainability began even before the first plan was drawn. It started with the concept that people should be able to live an urban lifestyle in sustainable, convenient and enjoyable places while minimizing personal impact on the environment.
Elevation 314's sustainable features include:
Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC)
Solar Electric System
- One of only a handful of apartment rental properties in the U.S. that is heated and cooled by a geothermal
system. By pumping water through 32 wells that extend more than 500 feet beneath the building, our
geothermal system brings the relatively constant temperature of the
earth (55-70°F) to Elevation 314's interior spaces.
- HVAC system does not use ozone-depleting coolants such as freon.
- In 2016 a 157kW Solar Electric System was installed on the roof of Elevation 314.
- The yearly impact of generating this clean energy is the environmental equivalent of growing 3,500 trees for 10 years, or not driving a car 315,800 miles.
- All rainwater on site is directed towards the
Green Roof and the onsite Bioretention areas.
- Elevation 314 is the first building in Washington, DC, to use a Green Roof as a part of its stormwater management system.
- Landscaped interior courtyard serves as a living stormwater management system.
- Carefully selected trees and plants absorb 99% of stormwater runoff and filter water-borne pollution.
- All units have sustainably harvested bamboo floors. Our floors were installed pre-finished to preserve the air quality within the building.
- Paint, sealants, caulks, adhesives, etc were all chosen for their minimal off-gassing of
volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
- Earth-friendly cleaning products used in all common areas.
- The building's structure is made from wood harvested only from certified managed forests, which practice the best sustainable management techniques to preserve our woodlands.
- The concrete building structure includes 20% fly ash, the byproduct of some types of electrical power production and thus recycles a product that is typically wasted.
- Exterior finish materials are brick (an age-old sustainable material) and Cementitious Fiberboard which is made of cement and wood fiber waste and when painted, looks
just like wood siding. It is also durable and recyclable.
- Energy-efficient building lighting, including compact-fluorescent light bulbs used throughout common spaces.
- Energy-Star air-conditioning, kitchen and laundry room appliances.
- Double-paned windows provide excellent insulation in both summer and winter.
- Every unit comes with Niagara
flapperless toilets that conserve water while still offering a powerful flush.
- Water-conserving plumbing fixtures used throughout building.
- Located in a walkable community, with restaurants, shopping and services easily accessible on foot.
- Indoor bike parking available to all tenants, free of charge.
- Directly across the street from the Takoma metro station.
- Nearly 96% of all waste produced by the tenants of Elevation 314 is recycled or reused.
- Building-wide recycling, including special programs for fluorescent bulbs and batteries.
- Composting of organic materials and kitchen waste.
- Remaining solid waste is used to generate energy at the
Covanta Waste-to-Energy facility.
- Eco-friendly business practices by management staff.
- Use of Integrated Pest Management system that minimizes use of pesticides.
- Green cleaning products used to clean all common areas.
- Receptive and flexible management--always looking for ways to improve!
WANT TO LEARN MORE?
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-291-0577